Tuesday, August 6, 2013

a dog of dreams

Last fall, I think it was last fall, my wonderfully nutty best friend called me about a pregnant dog in a shelter near Dallas who was set to be euthanized.  She was in a complete tizzy.  If I remember right she had promised her husband that they would take a break from fostering for a bit...and now she wanted to take a majorly pregnant pit bull.  Real easy to adopt out (read that with as much sarcasm as you can muster)!  I discouraged her.  Not because the dog was a pit bull, not because she was three hours away, not because she was pregnant, but because I like my friend's husband and I want her to keep him.

The next day I get a call and all I can hear is squealing children, oh-my-gosh's, and just total ruckus.  Then Kim says, "you there?"
Me: "Yes.  What did you do?"
Kim, sheepishly: "We got her."
Me: "Are you serious?"
Kim: "YES!  She was going to be put down TODAY at 3:00 and she might have these puppies while we drive home!"
Me: "Do I hear the kids?"
Kim: "yes, my mom and both the kids drove with me.  Oh, hang on!!!!"
Me: "Is she having the puppies?!?!?!?!"
Kim: "omygodohmygodohmygod!  she just had diarrhea all over the back of the car!"

This is how Hannah Blue entered Blue Dog Rescue.


She didn't have her puppies that day, it was a couple of weeks later.  I think she had 10, only one baby didn't make it.  She was an amazing momma.  Perfect with her puppies but willing to let people hold them and interact with them.
All of her puppies have long since been adopted but Hannah Blue is still waiting.

She's not my foster dog but I've been babysitting her for the last couple of days so I am experiencing her first hand and I've decided something: there is not a sweeter dog on this planet.  She is so full of sugary sweet love that she doesn't even begin to know what to do with it.  It shoots out of the tips of her toes!  I can see it in her face as she runs around looking for a place to put it - she wants to share it with me, with my cat, with any of the other dogs (who are all old as the hills and want none of her bounty of love!).

Yes, she's energetic.
Yes, she's a pit bull.
Yes, she's strong as an ox.
No, she is none of the bad stereotypical icky pit bull stuff.
Yes, she is ALL of the good stereotypical pit bull stuff.
Yes, she's a bit of a handful but you will never meet unconditional love like this.  Not ever.


Sweet Hannah Blue, you deserve a home that will think you hung the moon.  A family that will put your Christmas stocking right next to theirs.  You deserve a precious little girl to put her princess crown on your head and try to paint your toe nails. You deserve a soft bed and kind words.  You deserve someone to love you so much that when you leave this world one day they won't know how they will ever live without you.  I want that for you sweet Hannah Blue.