Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Brighter days...

Well, let me start off with the most important thing : Preacher is doing much better. I think I had the sigh of relief heard 'round the world. It's been pretty much just like Dr. Daigle (our regular, best-vet-ever vet) said the first day we took him in "I think he over-did it and he's super sore. Give him 72 hours." But I find it next to impossible to wait and watch. I prefer to over-react and worry myself sick. I can't tell you how much all of your positive comments, e-mails, and phone calls have helped. So as of today he is walking on his own again, much more steady on his feet, and even got up to say "hi" when my dad came by (to take all of my chairs because everyone and their dog - yay Virgil! - are coming to Thanksgiving). Tom and I are relieved to say the least. I don't think we are 100% out of the woods, but maybe 75%. And that is darn good.

So since I had nothing to do (ha, ha, ha! bake five pies, make granola, clean house - my mother-in-law is coming, grocery store, etc.) I decided to make an advent calendar for my best friends two kiddos. The whole idea started because I had all these little Trapp votive boxes that I hadn't thrown away because "they smell good and I could wrap something in them". But they were piling up so I had this thought that I could paint them, number them, and voila, they would be an advent calendar. But in classic me form I started the project and then only had 10 boxes. So off to the container store for 15 more boxes. I wrangled Tom into helping me paint - he seemed less than thrilled to begin with but then I think he got into it and painted as many boxes as I did. Then he filled them with treats and toys while I tied them up with odds and ends of ribbon that I also hadn't been able to part with. We tied all of the boxed to a long piece of twine - and I have to say, it's pretty freakin' cute. It's like this long, colorful, Christmas-y garland of tiny boxes in red, white, pink, and green. I love it. I hope Declan and Mia do too!!