Saturday, October 5, 2013

tears, super powers, and how is it already October!

Oh my goodness.  I'm just not sure how it is already October.  It's still so warm here in the heart of Texas that you wouldn't know fall was rolling in, the days are still long, the nights are hot...it just cannot be October.  Yet if I keep pretending then I will find myself so dreadfully behind I may not recover!  And so I think I am going to do something very fall-ish tonight like bake gingerbread!  There is not much better than hot out of the oven gingerbread with a healthy pat of butter.  Mmmmmm...

In my (former) continued effort to keep fall at bay I have been spending hours making large, honey-pie pieces of jewelry that I am just giggly over.  What I should be doing is tackling that list of inventory for all the upcoming holiday shows.  Those sterling bangles are not gonna make themselves!!  Unfortunately.  Below is an example of one of my new little (not-so-little) goody goody gumdrops!  It's big.  I mean real big.  I picture it on the finger of one of the Justice League.  Wonder Woman maybe?  I have four of these vintage lucite pieces and I want to have them each represent a perceived super power...as if you could wrap up every bit what you need or have lost or are lacking or the insecurity you have about ________! and tuck it into this bad boy and it would become your SUPERPOWER! instead of a fear or a weakness.  Okay, for example, I'll give you mine: trust.  Mine would be trust.

This one is all about COURAGE.  
Courage to move forward.  
Courage to let go.  
Courage to face your fears.  
Courage to live a life that is full and well participated.  
Courage to hope.  Courage to try.  
Courage to give it everything even if you fail.  
Courage to dream the big dream.  Courage to say how you feel.  
Courage to be only what you are and nothing of what you aren't.  
Courage to grip tight to what you love fiercely.  Courage to go on if you have to...  
It's a lot of pressure on this little (not-so-little) ring.  But I think he's up to the task.
You might think I'm a little ring heavy these days.  I am.  Not gonna lie.  But I say make it while you feel it!  Right?  This ring came from a sketch or ten of teardrops and raindrops.  I was thinking that sounded pretty sad when a friend commented on how cleansing both of those are so I don't feel quite so sad about this ring's humble beginnings anymore. (Thank you Mara!). This ring also evolved from my big off roundish ring, a ring I've been making for years in every color in the proverbial rainbow.  I still adore that ring but I think it's also fun to have a new jewel at the party.

I'm not sure if it's the shape or the color but this ring feels sooooo uber modern!  And the odd thing is that I generally don't love modern even a teeny tiny bit.  But I'm mad about this ring.  It's clean and bold but I think the shape does give it a soft side with a little story to tell.

So, that's what I've been up to.  That and taking care of dogs, baking molasses cookies, planning a kitchen gut job (that has my anxiety at full tilt!), planning for the holiday show madness even tho I stand by my denial that it can be month ten!  What have you been up to?

>>>>>>>  addendum  <<<<<<<
Tom pointed out that it seems I don't like Fall.  But that could not be further from the truth!  Fall is my favoritest favorite time of year!  I just can't believe its hear already.  I mean, it feels like Christmas 2012 JUST happened.  I am thrilled to say goodbye to summer, its just that I need to eek out about two more months of time before the holidays hit...  
I love fall.