Friday, March 26, 2010

high time for a Preacher update!

Not one of our better pictures, I know. But he hasn't been in the mood for posing I guess. But the good news is we are coasting along very well. He may have slowed down a tiny bit...but I am hyper aware of his every move. He eats like a horse, is a big goof ball, demands his people time. So it's all good. And considering he is 11 1/2 and 9 months post diagnosis, well, what more could we ask for?

Just last week a close friend of mine lost her beloved dog Virgil to cancer. He was diagnosed shortly after Preacher, different kind of cancer, a more aggressive, less treatable form of cancer, but they had a wonderful 8 months together. But the end came so suddenly, everything was fine one day and then within three days they were having to say goodbye. It scares me. I spent the evening with Lisa last night and she is so strong and has such an amazing attitude. She is concentrating on how lucky they are to have had those 8 months. The other day my vet said to me "If they lived to be 50 it wouldn't be long enough." That is so true.
Rest in peace sweet Virgil.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I would love nothing more than to give Preacher a little snuggle! He's absolutely gorgeous...

Narelle said...

I think that's a fantastic picture of Preacher, he has the "I really need a hug" face!

I am so sorry for your friend's loss, give her a hug for me.
God Bless you Virgil. xxx

Jen said...

That Preacher is such a cute boy! Good for him - give him a big hug!

Hugs to your friend too for her loss... Your vet's words are so very true as well...

Jack the Schnauzer's Canine Cancer Journey said...

Well done Preacher!!!!! You are right, even 50 years would never be enough, but enjoy every day as you can. Jack is doing really well - he continues to have a great life and is withstanding the treatment well.
Catherine & Jack