Monday, July 25, 2011

how does that serenity prayer go again?

I'm not one of those people who thrives under pressure. Let's just get that out there. Maybe that is not something that I should share, I should let everyone think that I am, at all times, calm, cool, and collected. But since I am fairly certain that the cat's out of the bag, I don't think putting it in writing is gonna shock anyone. And to say that I don't "thrive" is a little misleading too - the fact is, I can truly shut down under pressure. When things pile up I can go into full on panic mode. So a few weeks ago when I was whining about work being slow...well, be careful what you ask for because I am SLAMMED now! Which is good for the business side of my life. But then life comes along and makes work seem so trivial. It's all such a big, giant balancing act.
But in times like these, in the evening, no matter how late, if I can find some time to sit in my chair with a dog or two in my lap (or a foster puppy around my neck like a stole) I can recharge a bit. I honestly don't know how people live with out animals. I don't. When I am sad or anxious or mad or whatever I can look at one of my dogs and realize that for them - I am IT! I am the end-all-be-all (well, me and Tom). And over these last few days it feels pretty good to be such a rock star even if it's just to a dog.