Wednesday, January 5, 2011

the fluff before the marshmallow

I don't know if you all remember or if you were reading my blog this time last year, but I had this really long post about the marathon baking day that we have every year. I posted tons of photos, we baked for like 12 hours, so there was lots to photo. It's one of my favorite things each year. Well this year I was insanely busy AND had hurt my back. So the show went on without me. I was so sad. So, I am determined not to let the same thing happen next year. So determined in fact that I have already formed a plan of attack to make the holiday hustle go more smoothly. We'll see...

But in the mean time I made marshmallows. It was one of my favorite things from the 2009 baking day so this past weekend I made them myself. Most years I make a bundle of goodies for Tom to take to his coworkers - this year, the year of I-missed-everything-Christmas-and-I-am-still-stewing-about-it year, I didn't get anything made. So I decided they would get a "Here's to a sweet New Year" treat of homemade marshmallows. And I have to say, they were some pretty tasty marshmallows! I keep a little jar of sugar that has a vanilla bean in it and I used that sugar for about a quarter of the sugar in addition to the vanilla extract - yummy!!!! And plus it had the great little black speck of vanilla seeds that come from inside the sticky bean. So. Good. I love the finished product, but I am pretty sure I could eat the whole bowl before it ever sets up. Thank goodness for licking the beaters.