Sunday, February 22, 2009

Meet Joker.

Okay, before I start gushing over how freakin' cute this puppy is, let me say *fingers crossed* Margery, Caroline, and Jolene are all adopted. I don't want to jinx anything because the families have not completely confirmed on two of them, but I feel good about them. Sooooo, what do we do, we run right out and get another foster! Well, that's not exactly how it happened. I'll get into that in a minute. First, meet Joker. This picture was taken after his hour long ride from the shelter, transfer to my car, a good long bath, a couple of runs around the yard - and then lights out! And who could blame him - he's got a teddy bear and the cutest dog bed ever!
Last week I got an e-mail from one of our Blue Dog fosters who volunteers out at one of our local, rural shelters. I don't know how she does it because they have an 85% kill rate. They just get no traffic out there and in the rural areas, for some reason dogs just don't get spayed and neutered like they should. So she send me an e-mail with this FACE! And says "he's deaf". Well that did it. Everyone knows I love a pit bull AND I have a huge soft spot for deaf dogs because my Great Dane, Preacher, is deaf. I send Tom the picture knowing he's a big fat sucker like me when it comes to the above mentioned things. So, long story short, Suzy (the BDR foster who suckered me!) was nice enough to drive him into town from the shelter and we picked him up.

Obviously he's as cute as button! But he's smart as a whip too! In one day I have taught him a hand signal for sit and he is doing great with going out to the bathroom. He's already met our attack cat Berklie. I knew they had met when I heard Joker come screaming from the bedroom and looked to see Berklie hot on his tails. So I am pretty sure he's gonna be fine with cats! I've said it before, but there's not much better than seeing a dog fresh from a cement kennel cuddled up on a dog bed taking the best nap of his life! Check him out in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8V3-YDVJ0s