Wednesday, September 7, 2011

my house

So, I don't know if you've heard much about the crazy wildfires that we are dealing with here in Texas or not, but it's pretty much all anyone is talking about around here. I think at this point we have lost more than 1,000 homes and one fire alone has burned more than 30,000 acres. It's just terrifying. One of our dear friends was evacuated from her house late Monday evening and it really made Tom and I think. We were both mentally going through the house trying to decide what to grab if we had to leave at a moments notice. We both went so far as to each pack a bag and make and evacuation plan for the animals...who would go in what car and where the heck we would go with 13 dogs and two cats in tow!

What really surprised me emotionally was my attachment to my house. I've always thought that if I could, financially, I would buy a cute little, old house in the heart of Austin. But thinking of losing this house has made me realize how much I love it and that I seriously doubt if I could leave it for something "better". It's funny how we get it in our heads that we want a certain thing. But life changes and sometimes we don't realize that what we want and need has changed too. When we bought this house nearly 13 years ago I never, ever would have thought it would be my forever home. But now, honestly, I can't imagine ever living anywhere else.