Friday, April 25, 2014

organized chaos

Organized chaos.  That is my studio.  Tom stayed home from work today so that we could have a shared day off...but that quickly turned into him taking my car to the shop and then him working for Metalsgirl most of the day.  Oops.
Anyway, he walked into my studio and said "all I know is I'm not sitting THERE!", pointing an exaggerated finger at my bench.
Yeh, okay, it's a disaster.  I am not the most methodical worker.  I have a very hard time starting one thing and not jumping around to a few other things along the way.  So there are always parts of parts in some degree of completion or incompletion.  And yes, I have a bit of a vintage bowl, or more accurately, vintage butter pat plate obsession.  Hey, they are for work!!  They are excellent for corralling a project that is in some stage of..., well, see my above statement.
So real quick, can I just vent for just a sec?  My car.  I have somehow managed to live in the heart of Texas for four years, maybe more, it's a blur... anyway, at least four years with no air-conditioning in my car.  I don't wanna sound like a brat, but if you have anywhere to be during the day in say May, June, July, August, or September and it's more than a minute away, you just need to get ready to apologize on arrival for being a giant sweat ball!  And it's impossible to take the dogs to vet appointments because they are just looking at me like I should be arrested for cruelty to animals five minutes into the drive.  So, melodramatic me was super excited about a repaired, good-as-new ac!
Uh huh.
Never as simple as that.  Apparently my car is, and I quote, "puking oil all over my wiring and spark plugs".  And I need a new timing belt.  And a new this and a new that...  BLAST!
So, this is where you will find me for the next few weeks:
Firmly planted in front of the afore mentioned messy messy bench, working my tushie off.  The good news about that is: I love my job.  I do.  I absolutely love love love what I get to do for a living.  The only real problem is that there just aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done...I have a jillion different ideas and drawings that I wanna get moving on...for example, check out these great pieces I found last weekend at one of my favorite spots to score vintage bits and bobs to set into rings and things...
Hopefully you'll see these in the shop in the near future...unless of course you wanna stake your claim on one of them right here and right now!  If you just feel free and we can commence to collaboratin'!

Ok, that's enough of a break!  Shawhack! or what ever sound a cracking whip makes! I'm off to saw and file and sand and cut and solder and pumice and pickle and hammer until it's time to pick the teenager up from school!  Gotta go!