Thursday, September 19, 2013

how we tried to ruin the filming of Blue Bloods all by ourselves.

You may or may not know that I am kind of a fan of Tom Selleck.  And by "kind of" I mean I adore him with every fiber of my being (possibly a slight exaggeration, but not by much) and I watch Magnum pi about 50% of the time I am working only to switch out for Perry Mason because yes, I own every season of both on DVD.  So yesterday, when Tom and I saw the signs posted that Blue Bloods would be filming about a block away from the apartment I kinda flipped!  I was torn between wanting to stalk the street the whole day or playing cool New Yorker who doesn't get worked up about these things.
It's kinda cool, whatever is filming, movie, tv, commercial, whatever, they have to post signs saying what and when they are filming.  A couple of days ago we saw them filming a Kevin Bacon scene of The Following...13 year old me would've had a conniption fit over this!  I lost count of how many times I saw Footloose in the theatre...

Soooooo, we did sort of scout it out today, but none of the trailers had Tom Selleck or his characters name so I started to let it go.  Then around 7:30 or so, coming home from dinner we saw all the lights on...we walked right through the middle of all of the hubbub before we saw Donnie Wahlberg standing right there.  I had probably rubbed elbows with him.  We watched for a bit and it was pretty interesting.  It is totally insane how many people, how much equipment, and how much time goes into just one scene.  After a bit of seeing that the New Kid seemed like a nice guy we headed back to the apartment.

Here's where the fun happens.  It's 11:30 and time to take the dogs out for one last break.  Off we go. They are STILL filming.  We walk the dogs and then head back ... The side of the street they are filming is full of crew and extras and lighting and cords of all shapes and sizes...no one was keeping people away so I tell Tom that I'm gonna get closer and take a photo of the whole production of it all.  I'm seriously right there behind the director, I'm futzing with my phone trying to make sure that the flash is off so that I don't disrupt their filming and then I hear it.  "Uh oh."  I look up wondering what might have happened and I see The Business Man, out of his leash, running into the middle of it all.  Yes.  Yes he did.  The assistant director reaches for him all that is running through my head is:  "pleasedon'tbitehim!  pleasedon'tbitehim!  pleasedon'tbitehim!"  And then the squealing, squirming, and yes, biting begins.  The poor man can't grab him because The Business Man is on his back wriggling and snapping and screeching like a howler monkey with a microphone.  I'm trying to get him but there is so much equipment that I'm trying to lean around.  From there it was a blur.  I somehow snatched him up and practically ran across the street i was so embarrassed.  I had so wanted to be the cool New Yorker and instead I was the starstruck hayseed from Texas!

Once I regained composure I calmly walked back across the street, leaving my ill behaved dog with Tom, and apologized to the asst. director.  I asked if he got bit and he VERY nicely assured me that he was fine and that he was just worried that my (hideous) dog would run into the street.  Some other crew member said "I didn't know if it was a dog or a monkey!"  The director had turned around and was laughing.  So apparently we didn't ruin anything.  

But it's time for the Beverly Hillbillies to return to Texas.
This is the photo I got of the production.  Pretty cool, eh?