Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My friend Kathy

Don't we all have those friends who just make us feel just completely inadequate? But not because they try to, in fact quite the opposite, they try to make you feel like you are as competent as they are. Meet my dear, wonderful friend Kathy (the one in yellow, not the dog).

We met when she found a dog and was willing to bend over backwards and sideways to save him. She's been a part of Blue Dog Rescue ever since. I could go on and on but the short version is this: her husband recently had a heart transplant and through it all Kathy has continued her Blue Dog board duties, continued to foster, continued to work full time, drives back and forth to the Heart Hospital in Houston, and runs the restaurant that her husband bought just before he got sick. She is an amazement. When I think of all she has to do on a daily basis I feel faint, but she does it all and really never complains.

Kathy has been through hell and back over the last several months and yet she always has a smile on her face, always has time to ask how I am and if I need anything, she is always making me laugh, and just being her cheerful self.

So, the reason I am sharing is this: her friends want to do something for her and for her husband. It has been a difficult time and we want to try to make things easier in any way we can. One thing we thought would help is trying to get people into their restaurant to eat - here's the deal, the food is great, people just don't know about it. So, here's the plan - if you live in Austin, on August 7th go eat at Gyros +. That's it, that's all you've gotta do. And let me tell you what to order because I am an expert: hummus with Israeli salad and an order of fries with chipotle mayo. It might sound odd, but that's what I get. It's my favorite. I could eat the hummus and pita until I explode! Other options include the falafel (very yummy!) and I hear the chicken sandwich is darn tasty too. We are also having a silent auction that day with wonderful items from yours truly, a weekend in Port Aransas, a great package from Premier Animal Hospital, GC to the Ghost Room and The Ginger Man, and a lot more. August 7th, Gyros + on the corner of Burnet Road and Pasadena (just south of Northcross Mall). So this is all I've gotta say - Be there or be square.