Friday, February 12, 2010

My Valentine

I am married to the love of my life. Not only am I still crazy in love with him but I like him a real lot too. We met when we both worked at a local music store. We were both seeing other people but we hit it off, became friends, and well, the rest is history. I think we are insanely well suited for each other. Several years ago Tom and I were bottle feeding a litter of orphaned puppies. We went to a friends house for dinner and had to haul the puppies along with us because they had to be fed every two hours. Kim was helping me feed them and poop and pee them (bet you didn't know that tiny puppies don't do that on their own!) and Kim said something to me that I have never forgotten. She said "You met your perfect match. Who else would do this kind of thing with you?" And she was so right.
Neither Tom or I are very high maintenance people - at least not when it comes to stuff like fancy expensive gifts or dinners. Before we were even married we spent one Valentine's Day with take out Chinese and rented movies. It was so great, so low key, so us that it's what we do every year. Sweet and Sour Chicken for him, Snow Peas and Water Chestnuts for me. This year we will start the day early at the Austin Marathon volunteering at a water stop for Blue Dog Rescue...but then after a long nap we'll order our food, cue up our movie, cuddle up in front of a fire and spend the night relaxed at home with our dogs - my idea of a perfect Valentine's Day.
What is your Valentine's tradition?